Asymco reported on iOS developers earning more than Hollywood | Asymco.
Apple paid $10 billion to developers in calendar 2014. Additional statistics for the App store are:
- $500 million spent on iOS apps in first week of January 2015
- Billings for apps increased 50% in 2014
- Cumulative developer revenues were $25 billion (making > * 2014 revenues 40% of all app sales since store opened in 2008)
- 627,000 jobs created in the US
- 1.4 million iOS apps catalog is sold in 155 countries
Or to put things in perspective:
Put another way, in 2014 iOS app developers earned more than Hollywood did from box office in the US.